Saturday, August 9, 2008
Typhoon action
One weekend I went to a national park called Kending. It was a magical place with blue skies, beaches and …me! We arrived on Friday and had dinner in a very fancy restaurant--it’s amazing what can happen with coupons. It was an all you can eat place. You can believe it--a fancy all you can eat place. Yiru and I didn’t waste any time. He ate with a purpose. I ate with a fork. The next day we were going to go to the beach. I was so excited because I hadn’t been to a beach to swim in many years. I got in the water and three minutes later, everyone was called out of the water because of a typhoon warning. Boy was I disappointed. It was like teasing a fat kid with a piece of licorice. With nothing else to do we started on our way back to Chaozhou. It wasn’t long before the cloudless sky turned into a raging tempest. As cars went by we were splashed with huge amounts of water. No, we weren’t in a car, we were on a scooter. But it actually felt as if we were in a water park. The water came from everywhere. It came from above, below and from the sides. It actually felt pretty good when the water was warmed on the street and then gushed onto us by passing traffic. I am not sure if it is an achievement or punishment to have driven 100 km on a scooter in a typhoon. I think I like not knowing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment